YOU'VE NOW RECEIVED YOUR NEW TATTOO WHICH HAS BEEN CAREFULLY & PROFESSIONALLY APPLIED.
TAKING CARE OF YOUR NEW TATTOO.
1. Leave your dressing on for 2-3 hours. You may notice some blood, plasma, ink seepage, ink smudging, & sweat build-up - this is normal & to be expected during this time. Do not leave on for more than 5 hours.
2. Once you're at home in a clean environment. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap (remember your tattoo is an open wound and should be treated as such). Remove & discard the dressing making sure to carefully avoiding any abrasion to site of the tattoo procedure.
3. Using lukewarm water over the tattoo, begin to wash gently. Do not be alarmed if the area feels a bit slimy - this is perfectly normal.
4. Pat dry with clean paper towel & allow the tattoo to air dry for around 30 minutes.
5. There is no need to re-wrap your tattoo, however, you may choose to wrap it for bed (first night only) to avoid excess ink staining your bedsheets. If so, repeat steps 2 to 4 as soon as you wake up.
6. Keep your tattoo area clean with fragrance-free soap & warm water. Avoid touching with unwashed hands and do not let friends, family or pets touch your tattoo – treat your tattoo as a healing wound.
7. After 2-3 days of healing, make sure you pick up some aftercare ointment – This can be purchased at the studio, the pharmacy or your local supermarket. I highly recommend Dr. Pickles, Hustle Butter or Bepanthen Antiseptic.
8. Apply a small thin layer of aftercare ointment to minimally moisten the entire area. Please be sure this is done with clean hands & that you do not over-apply ointment - Excess ointment may clog pores, slow the healing process and in some cases even damage the ink or warp your design. Do not use old or leftover ointment from previous tattoos to avoid cross infection.
9. Continue this aftercare for 2 weeks after your tattoo. Over the first few days you tattoo may look dark - this is normal. As your skin begins to dry out and become flaky and itchy, it is extremely important not to scratch. Allow the top layer of skin to flake off naturally.
DURING THE FIRST 14 DAYS... DO NOT
Scratch, peel, pick, rub your tattoo.
Immerse the tattoo underwater - this includes baths, hot tubs or swimming.
Expose your tattoo to the sun for the first 2-3 weeks.
Wear tight clothing over your new tattoo (i.e., bra straps or waistbands).
Exercise the first few days.
Shave on or near your new tattoo.
Wait to see a doctor - if your tattoo feels or looks infected, see a doctor ASAP
DO NOT apply perfume, sunscreen or deodorant on or near your new tattoo.
The above pose immense risk of infection & may cause damage to your tattoo during the healing process.
After the two-week healing process, I highly recommend the use of daily moisturiser & sunscreen when exposed to sun. Taking care of your skin and drinking plenty of water is essential to keep your tattoo looking beautiful vibrant.
If you have any questions about the healing of your tattoo, please get in touch with the studio or myself.
Thank you & please be sure to send through healed photos!